Sunday, January 13, 2008

SPENCER AND THE SCHOOL BUS

I know riding the school bus is a thrill for some kids and a drag for others. At times the bus driver has to put up with screaming, yelling and sometimes fighting, but get this. One morning while I was in Texas I walked Spencer to the corner to catch the school bus. As we stood there waiting for it's arrival Spencer was looking intently down the street when over the hill came THE bus. Spencer got so excited that he was like a kid with a new puppy. To me it was only a school bus but to Spencer it was the greatest vehicle in the world. He said to me, grandpa this is it, this is it. Not knowing what he was taking about I said this is what. Now I know what he was talking about. In Shiner Texas the school corporation has one bus that has a video screen on the back of each seat and the children can either watch cartoons or plaY video games. Pretty neat. Spencer is one of the last kids to be picked up and one of the first to be dropped off so he doesn't get to watch cartoons or play games for very long. He told me he even asked the bus driver if she could reverse the route so he would be on the bus longer. It didn't work. Even so he still gets to play and the bus is actually quiet so the driver goes home without a headache. Who says small towns are not modern.

No comments:

Site Meter