Wednesday, July 30, 2008

THE PERFECT STORM

It started out beautiful and sunny. The morning was perfect with the weather warm and the grand kids still sleeping I was able to grab myself a cup of coffee and go out on the patio to enjoy the morning and the quiet. About ten, people started to stir and at that point things changed. Grandpa I'm hungry, grandpa Spencer is picking on me and so forth. With all of this being taken care of the day progressed. About three in the afternoon Spencer, Delaney and Angelica wanted to go around the lake, that being a small lake in the sub-division where I live that is about 4 blocks round. The clouds were gathering and you could hear the rumble of thunder in the distance. I told the kids to stay near the house because it was going to rain. Our weatherman, Spencer, said "look grandpa, the clouds are not that dark". With their persistence I said they could go but they would get wet. About five minutes after they left, this would put them about half way around, a few drops of rain hit the ground. I went through the house to the open garage when the skies opened up. I kept looking down the street for the kids, there wasn't any lightning or thunder so I wasn't worried about that. Two blocks down I saw three figures round the corner, two on bikes and one on a scooter coming down the street as if being chased by a herd of wild bulls. As they got closer you could hear the screams and as they got even closer you could see there was not a dry piece of clothing on any of them. Screaming, laughing and smiling the three of them rushed into the garage, glad to be safe at home. We had a good laugh that Spencer shouldn't be a weatherman when he gets older. They had a good time and talked about it for a long time.

No comments:

Site Meter