Saturday, November 15, 2008

MEMORIES MEMORIES!!!!

Yesterday I received in the mail a catalog from HobbyTown USA which is a hobby shop in my town. As I flipped through the pages I saw all the neat things they have for the kids and adults today that were not available when I was a kid back in the 40's and 50's or if they did I couldn't afford them. I am referring to remote controlled helicopters, three dimensional puzzles, wooden train sets, race car sets that run on winding tracks and remote controlled cars. When I got near the end of the book I turned the page and there they were, something that I could relate too. The monsters of the rails and I'm talking about the trains. O gauge and HO gauge, passenger and freight trains, freight cars and passenger cars with lighted domes. This brought back memories because I had a Lionel freight train with an engine that blew smoke, a cattle car where the cattle moved out of the car onto a platform and back into the car again, and many more unique working cars. I had gates that went up and down when the train approached, a man that came out of a building to wave a lantern, switches and many more things that go along with a very nice train setup. As it turned out, my father gave it all away to a guy so he would build a bathroom in the basement of our house. This was done when I was in the Army. Can you imagine what the set would be worth today? In today's market a Lionel train is not by no means cheap. In this catalog the Santa Fe El Capitan passenger train with engine and three cars plus track is $369.99. What a Christmas present that would make for a kid.
Looking at books like this sure brings back memories, memories.

No comments:

Site Meter