Monday, December 21, 2009

PRETTY LIGHTS

When my wife and I got married in 1965 we started driving around a few days before Christmas looking at the various displays in the neighborhood and surrounding areas. We did this every year and when we had kids this tradition I guess you would call it continued. The oooohhhh's and aaaaahhhhh's continued from the kids until they got to an age where the word boring came into play and they didn't want to go anymore. My wife and I continued this alone until grand kids came along and we started to take them with us. The same ooohhhh's and aaaaahhhh's came from the back seat and soon the word boring appeared again. When my wife passed four years ago I stopped going because it wasn't the same without her.
Last night I went shopping and on the way home I decided to drive around and look at displays myself just like in the OLD DAYS. As I drove through my old neighborhood it amazed me that people who were decorating their homes 20 years ago still have the same display. Some have moved and the new folks also decorate. For the old timers, some have added to their displays to make their homes more beautiful than before.
I was pleased to see how many people added Jesus, Joseph and Mary to their displays to remind those who see it that there is another reason to remember other than Santa and gifts.
After riding around for about an hour I headed home with a good feeling in my heart and I will do this again next Christmas.
MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

MrsMartinez | xoxoMrsMartinez.com said...

hello there! This post reminds me of how my parents used to drive us around a business district to see holiday displays. We don't do it anymore but reading about it now makes me miss the whole thing xoxo

Site Meter