Monday, April 21, 2008

OLD WEST STILL LIVES

My daughter Lorri lives in a small town in Texas called Shiner. Population 2007. Their name to fame is a company that produces Shiner beer. You won't find it around here but it is a big item out west. Well anyway people still ride horses into town and believe it or not I have seen people wearing guns on their hip as protection on the , get this, range.
Lorri had a large dog, I mean large and occasionally he would get off the chain and it would be hours before they caught him and brought him home. One day not to long ago he broke loose again and every time someone got near him he would take off. Behind her home there is a ranch and it just so happened that a "cowboy" was checking fences, saw what was going on and asked if he could help (this is the way my daughter tells it) this cowboy took his horse back from the fence and rode the horse toward the fence and over it. He stopped in their yard and said I'll have your dog in a minute. He took his rope (lasso) off the saddle and started toward the dog. The dog seeing what was coming turned and started running, cowboy in pursuit with rope twirling above his head, no Hi Ho Silver, at the end of the block he let the rope fly. The rope went around the dogs neck and he came to an abrupt stop. Minutes later the cowboy was back in my daughters yard, dog in tow. After the dog was secured by the chain again my daughter thanked him and he tipped his hat and said "pleasure mam" and jumped his horse over the fence to continue his checking fences.
Believe it of not!

2 comments:

Larry Tate said...

I've been to Shiner many times, and I believe it! By the way, Shiner Bock, the brewery's flagship beer, is now available in the Chicago area.

Falls-Down-Laughing said...

If that don't beat all.... hehehehe Yeah, I hear tell a lot of Texas is still just like it was back in the day - my friend lives in.... I forget, Fredericksburgh or something like that (we only e-mail and phone eachother - never write regular mail, so the city name escapes me) - from what she tells me, many parts of Texas are just like the old west.

I like what you write here.... always a good read. Keep it up, eh?

- Falls-Down-Laughing ^_^
Blackfoot/Mohawk-Cree

www.nativenotion.com

Site Meter