Saturday, February 19, 2011

THE ROBINS

In an earlier post I mentioned that I had seen robins in the tree in front of my house and I was wondering where they came from since it was early February and there was tons of snow on the ground. My question was answered in the newspaper by a bird expert responding to many of questions concerning the same question
It seems that these robins had never left the area. They stay all winter and the reason we never see them is because they stay deep in the woods where there are plenty of berries as a food source. The reason they came out now is not because of an early Spring but in search of berries that are not frozen and not covered by the massive snow storm we had. Now that the snow has melted and the temperatures are warmer they are back in the woods and no longer seen. Now that the ground is a little softer they search for earth worms as another food source.
That's that.

No comments:

Site Meter